Re: Door Fitment...

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Door Fitment...
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:45:49 -0800
A Modest Proposal:  :-)

Mayf,

When the Mad Hatter complained to the March Hare that the pocket watch
he had repaired was not working, the March Hare replied: "I just cannot
understand that! I used the VERY best butter, you know." :-D

It seems like you are trying to get the sag effect cured by chopping on
the perfectly good doors and hinges.

How about a "modest proposal"?

The sag is in the chassis, which is not flat any longer, bringing the
door openings together at the top.  Have you considered that you would
not want to be in a car with a weakened and defective frame structure at
record speed - even if the doors had been butchered to fit?

Two other alternates:

1) Place a load spreading wood beam under the chassis at the door
position, and jack it up until the sag is gone, then weld additional
support structure on the chassis to return it to it's original flatness,
and strength.  A body shop with a frame machine can be used to clamp the
chassis, apply hydraulic forces, and return all points to their original
position.  This would include any diagonal distortion as well. Wouldn't
want one wheel ahead of the other?

2) As above, but weld the doors in place as structural reinforcement
that is stiffer in ALL directions than the original.  If you still need
a driver's door to open (for rules or entry/exit), then only do the
passenger side.  Huge help over stock.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman