Popping back through Carb

To: "tigers@autox. team. net (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Popping back through Carb
From: "Olson, Mark W" <mark.w.olson@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:22:32 -0800
Brad,

I used to have a '72 GMC pickup w/ a straight 6 that had exactly the same
symptoms.  It had a VERY sticky lifter that I surmised was not letting an
intake valve close completely, although I was amazed at that idea, given the
strength of valve springs.  But I was desperate, so I replaced the lifters and
the problem went away completely.

If you are running a Holley, and you get a backfire through it, you are running
a big risk that you'll blow out your power valve.  Maybe someone else can
explain that.

BTW, with my pickup, it would get real exciting.  When it would backfire, the
choke butterfly would bend and stick shut.  This would happen usually when I
really needed some acceleration to get onto a crowded freeway.  So I'd find
myself on the shoulder of a crowded freeway at the end of an onramp with a
stalled truck.  I kept a large bolt on the dash, so I could get out, take off
the air cleaner, whack the butterfly valve with the bolt to open it up and then
try to figure out how to get onto a crowded 75mph freeway with no runway and
try not to do it all over again.  It was exciting.

Good luck.

Mark