Re: Seat Restoration

To: JParlanti@genelogic.com, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat Restoration
From: Gene Sokolowski <tigeriowa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:20:31 -0800 (PST)
Joe,
I disassembled one of my 65 Tiger seats tonight.  Not the same as yours.  I was
amazed at the construction and materials used in these light seats.  I took
pictured from the get-go of every nuance.  However, the seat bottom was rotted
away so I don't have a picture of the webbing (but I think I can figure that
out).  I am awaiting my seat covers and parts from Sunbeam Specialties.  Should
be here this week.  In the mean time I need to do what you did and sand blast
the frames and have them painted or powder coated.  Probably the latter.  When
I have some time will post the pictures in sequence in an online album for
public review.
Oh, thank goodness I had an impact driver set to get one of the stubborn big
screws out that hinges (holds) the top and bottom frames together.
Good luck,
Gene
 JParlanti@genelogic.com wrote:Well, I'm a good way into redoing my seats and
have a huge pile of decaying
foam, vinyl, and other materials that I'm not quite sure of on the shop
floor. My car is a very early Mk1a (B382000026) and I purchased the
cushions, upholstery kits, and diaphragms from Rick. The seats had been
recovered at some point and actually had straps (homemade) and some sort of
a thin nylon sheet serving in place of the diaphragm. After sandblasting,
and powder coating everything I'm ready to start reassembly but have run
into a snag. The rubber diaphragm looks too small to fit where I think it
should go and there are not corresponding holes in the frame for
attachment. I thought that maybe this was an earlier seat bottom but when I
took apart a seat that I had from a Series V Alpine, it was the same, so I
think that my seats are the later type.

Now to the question. Does anyone have photos or instructions for rebuilding
these seats? Rick doesn't and I'd like to at least make sure I've got the
right parts before I start drilling holes, etc.

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Joseph V. Parlanti

Gene Logic Inc.

708 Quince Orchard Rd.
Gaithersburg, Md. 20878

Voice: 301-987-1754
Fax: 301-987-1804
Mobile: 301-461-0626
Email: jparlanti@genelogic.com
Web: www.genelogic.com

== The information contained in this email message is intended only for
use by the ==
== recipient(s) to which it is addressed. This message may be privileged
and ==
== confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this
message is not ==
== the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended ==
== recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this
document in error ==
== and that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution,
copying or other ==
== use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information, is
strictly ==
== prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please
contact the ==
== sender and delete the material from your computer.
==

Gene Sokolowski
4845 Crestview Dr.
Sioux City, Iowa 51104