Re: Replacement tach.

To: BOBCARNUT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Replacement tach.
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:16:39 -0800
At 05:48 PM 1/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm finally going to do something about the nonfunctioning (almost) tach on
>my Tiger. Has anyone found a reasonably priced tach that resembles the
>original tach and fits in the same hole? I don't have much interest in trying
>to have the original one rebuilt, partly because of the mixed results that
>have been reported. I would like to keep in the 6-7K rpm range if possible.
>Anyone done this?
>
>                    Bob

Gee Bob!  How'd you like an OEM Tachometer that looked like the rest of
your instruments and worked accurately with any ignition system.  Well,
believe it or not, it will soon be available.  Since SUNI III, a group of
us has been working on the problem of curing all the ill's that the OEM
Tach has after 35 years.

We've developed a replacement (PCB) board that has modern electronics that
fits into the original case without removing the old electronic boards.  We
just finished testing it with all the ignition systems we could find.  From
points and Pertronics to  MSD and Jacobs multi spark electronic
units.  There are only a few prototypes running in the field right now, but
we plan to have a production run available in the next month or so.  This
project has taken over three years, so be patient just a little longer.

I am going to handle things in the pacific area and Theo Smit
<theo.smit@dynastream.com> will be working from the central Canada
area.  We are finalizing the price list at the present time and should have
bare boards, component boards, electronics installation and calibration
available soon.

Were only going to be able to upgrade instruments that have a working
meter, so if it's been underwater, rusty, or smashed with a hammer, we
won't be able to do you much good.  The board will work on 5,000 RPM Tiger
units and 7,000 RPM Alpine units.  We don't have much of a supply of 7K
Alpine Tachs available but if you can find one, we can calibrate it to work
in your Tiger to get the RPM range you need.  The new board will also work
for Alpines and V-6 installations.  It will also work for several other
LBC's with common instruments, but that's another subject.

I'm leaving next weekend for a vacation and as soon as I get back, we
should just about be ready to crank up this operation.

Tom Hall