Coil Failure?

Subject: Coil Failure?
From: ssage@socal.rr.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:41:42 -0800
The Tiger stalled on the freeway today. At first it would idle, but
eventually, after trying to drive, it wouldn't run at all, or ran for a
minute or too (poorly) and then just shut down. After it stalled, the
engine would turn over, kind of run for a second or two and die, or
wouldn't run at all. I had to have it towed home. A couple of hours
later (the engine was pretty cool again), it started fine and runs well,
no problem tonight, all the way up the rev curve. When stuck on the
freeway today, I checked to make sure the Holley carb was getting fuel
(it was....plenty of gas through the squirters). I did notice that the
gas was percolating pretty well in the clear fuel filter I have in line
before the carb, but then it always does this in hot weather (85-90 F
today in Los Angeles).

I run a Pertronix Ignitor II ignition and a Pertronix II coil. Reading
about coils, I note that if they're going bad, they might do fine until
they get a big heat load from the engine compartment and then fail to
put out enough voltage to run the system. Since the Tiger seems to run
fine tonight (a lot cooler out), could could the coil be the problem? If
so, how do I check to see if the coil is defective or not?

Thanks for the usual help and advice!

Steve Sage
1967 MK1A