RE: Coil Failure?

To: <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Coil Failure?
From: "Frank Marrone" <itswonderful@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:24:48 -0800
Steve,

You can not properly test a coil with a common ohm meter except for
total failures like open, nearly open, shorts between windings, and
maybe direct shorts from terminals to ground.  First off, unless you
have a pretty sophisticated ohm meter you really can not accurately
measure resistances below a few ohms.  For most consumer and development
lab ohm meters measuring .9 ohm across a circuit that is supposed to be
.6 ohm would be within expectations.  If you have a high end milli-ohm
meter then it would be suspicious but not necessarily indicative of a
bad coil.

Frank