Re: Coil Failure?

To: ssage@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: Coil Failure?
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 11:50:59 -0700
Having the car die, then run again after sitting for a bit, then die again, can
happen if your
fuel filter is being plugged by crap that gets sucked off the bottom of the
filter can while the
car is running, then drops back down when the fuel flow stops. I know you said
your filter is
good, but you might want to check it anyway.

Isn't the Pertronix one of the ignitions that can leave the coil energized
(i.e. primary current
flowing through it) if you have the ignition on but the engine not running? In
that case the
coil will quickly become very hot and may cause an insulation failure inside
the coil. I agree
with the other poster that 10 ohms on the secondary is way low - it should be
in the 1000's of
ohms. If you can verify this resistance measurement then I'd suggest just
putting another coil
in there and see if it now runs properly.

Good luck,

Theo