Not enough go juice for my motor!

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not enough go juice for my motor!
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:42:29 -0800
I have been battling an intermittent problem for some time now.

When I climb a steep enough hill at high enough speed, it begins missing
like it is running out of gas.  Until recently it had only occured on hot
days so I always linked it with vapor lock or something similar.

Well last weekend I took it out on a cool morning and tackled a 3 mile 8%
grade at about 80 mph.  The problem happened about 3/4 of the way up the
hill. The engine temp was 200 and I know the gauge is accurate.

I crawled under the car and found a place in the fuel line that had a big
kink.
I thought AHAA! I have found the problem.

Today I bent up a new line and installed it. I took the car out at sundown
today, and it did the same (*)*()#%$%  thing.  The car was running at 200
again.

Except for this annoyance, the engine runs flawlessly.

It is a 260 with an Edelbrock 500 cfm car and headers.
I am using the stock type fuel pump.

The pump was replaced  just before I bought the car in Oct 2001.  It was
replaced and then the owner found the root cause of his problem was the
Pertronix igniter going bad.

The only two things I can think to try are to test the fuel pump for flow
rate, and check the carb float level.

Anything ideas?

Erich