Re: Not enough go juice for my motor!

To: Kathy and Erich Coiner <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Not enough go juice for my motor!
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 22:48:21 -0700
No, but it is symptomatic of running the float bowls dry due to extended high
fuel flow, which would be possible if the pump can't draw enough fuel through a
partially blocked pickup line.
One thing you could try is to shut the ignition down the next time this happens,
then coast over to the side of the road, and pull the fuel line from the carb.
If there's nothing coming out (i.e. no drips or anything) then there's
definitely a fuel starvation problem. If your carb has a sight glass for the
float bowl you could check it - actually, since you have an Edelbrock, you can
pull the whole top of the carb off without spilling any fuel that might be in
the bowls, and check the float bowl condition that way. I'd guess that they're
going to be dry or nearly so. I guess that would not isolate the problem between
the pump and the line, but you'd know it wasn't something else like the ignition
packing it in.

Good luck,
Theo