Re: Broken speedometer

To: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@cox-internet.com>
Subject: Re: Broken speedometer
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:48:57 -0800
Jim,

There is a driver side access panel on the left wall of the transmission
tunnel, under the carpet.  Removal of this panel gives access to the
speedo cable hold down bolt.  This bolt passes through a "figure 8" flat
ear that holds the cable to the transmission. Removing the bolt allows
the cable to be withdrawn.

There is  a circlip holding the nylon speedo cable drive gear and holder
onto the cable which needs to be removed with a circlip tool and not
lost.  The cable will pull out, and a new, greased one, inserted from
the speedo end. Be sure to use plenty of proper cable grease, and
replace the holder, gear, and refasten the circlip.

Reinsertion is a bit trickier, as there is little room to start that
bolt thread with the tunnel access hole so small.

A neat trick I have seen requires a bit of pre work.  You would need to
remove the Figure 8 cable holder from the cable without damaging the
groove it rides in.  The object, here, is to cut through the outer ring
of the cable flange a slight amount above a line that would connect the
center of the bolt and cable holes.  It can be done.  Then file off any
rough edges on the half cable end holder left, and bolt it lightly in
place with the hold down bolt, but swung upwards away from the cable hole.

The cable is inserted into the transmission until bottomed. This will
leave the holder groove, from which the clip was removed, flush with the
housing.  Now, loosen that clamp bolt and the half circle will fall into
it's original groove by gravity, and maybe some light push from a flat
screwdriver blade side.  Then tighten the hold down bolt.

If you ever have to do this again, it is a cinch. Loosen hold down bolt,
flip up modified holder and snug bolt, remove cable.

Easy, and not a lot of work.  The reason, again, is the limited access
to manipulating that bolt, removing it, and trying to reinsert it with
limited access.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman