Re: SPAM fuel FILTER

To: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: SPAM fuel FILTER
From: garywinblad@attbi.com
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:31:59 +0000
Steve,
With all due respect, you are REALLY reaching here...
Congratulations on tracking down a rare piece of Rootes replacement
part history but, Norm is correct, the original filter that was factory
supplied was plastic/metal-topped not ALL metal.
I was skeptical at first too, Norm's picture is of a car with LAT
valve covers, maybe they changed the filter while they were "working"
on it?
But all you have to do is look in the books for the contemporary photos,
EVERY SINGLE ONE that has a filter visible has the plastic one, just take
a look!  This filter has a very distinctive concentric ridge around the top
where the plastic is crimped into the metal top.
For pictures you can see:
Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger by Graham Robson, pg. 98
Tiger The Making of a Sports Car by Mike Taylor, pg.64
Sunbeam Tiger and Alpiine Gold Portfolio, Brooklands Books, pg. 57, 84,
75(Norm's picture?),76,79,82,84,94,104,108....more but my old eyes are
tired!
AND, the most AMAZING evidence is the filter I found out in my garage...
Yes, now while I can not positively guarantee that this is the original
filter, I do know for a fact that it was on my car when I bought it in 1971,
in a condition that sure looked like it had never been changed!
It has a rusty metal top (like someone else described) 3 or 4 "TO CARB"
arrows, and on the bottom the words "MADE IN ISREAL"!!  Whoa, a whole new
topic, "is the tiger really kosher?"...
But no FoMoCo numbers or logos..  gee, do you think they could of put in some
cheap locally sourced filter instead??  I wonder what my little find will
fetch on E-BAY?

Hacksaw Gary..the guy that threw most of his house in the dumpster when he
moved 3 years ago, but saved a worn out lead-contaminated old fuel filter ;-)