Re: Readers of the Lost Filter

To: owner-tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Readers of the Lost Filter
From: wwwdg@webtv.net (David or Gary)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:49:37 -0800 (PST)
Re: SPAM fuel FILTER
-----
I would like to add my .02" to the Tiger fuel filter discussion. This
is probably more than anyone wants to know about Tiger filters :^)
About 15 years ago I tried to locate an original Tiger fuel filter, I
can't count how many C2RZ-9155-A filters I bought trying to get the
correct one, the only ones I received were the all steel can type, I
never could find the correct plastic type recently shown on the Tiger
List. If I hadn't seen the photo (by Bob Palmer below) of the "Rotunda"
filter I would have said the filter didn't exist.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-3-1.jpg
----
Someone did send me a replacment filter which is very close, it has been
so long ago I don't remember who sent it.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-3-2.jpg
-
close-up of replacement filter.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-3-3.jpg
-
The package is marked " Cobra Fuel Filter Universal In-Line, part number
is UNF516" (universal filter 5/16 nipples). It was manufactured by:
Cobraline Manufacturing Corp Westbury, NY 11590. I tried to find this
company but had no luck, either they changed the name or went out of
business.
----
There is a current filter made by Fram which is fairly close but can be
used.
The part number is "G2". This filter has a plastic top, not steel like
the original.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-3-4.jpg
----
  I have a FoMoCo-Autolite-Rotunda "Ready Reference Catalog 1966
edition which lists the C2RZ-9155-A as first being used on the 1961
T-Bird, Falcon, and Fords. It shows "C2RZ-9155-A KIT (Fuel Filter) - in
line - Rotunda No. R-29-A" .
----
BUT, I have the "Ford factory illustrated catalog 1960-1964 Ford Car
Parts and Accessories, FORM AF 7682" reprinted in 1969. All the
"in-line" filters shown are the all steel can type part number
C2RZ-9155-A. The photo below shows the 1960-62 Falcon page, note that
one model filter has a threaded connection (this has a different part
number). There are no photos of the "Tiger" style plastic body filter.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-4-1.jpg
----
Also most Fords went to a large spin-on filter canister in 1964/65.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-4-2.jpg
----
Then around 1967/68 Ford went to a screw on filter located right on the
carburetor inlet.
----
BUT, I also have an (Autolite Ford Shop Tips Vol. 8, No 2, October,
1969) which is a factory publication bulletin booklet sent to Ford
Dealers and Auto Repair shops. On the rear is an advertisement for
Autolite filters which shows another one of the "Tiger" filters with
"Autolite" printed on the side. This could just be "old advertising
artwork" still being used or the filter still might have been available
in 1969.

http://photo.starblvd.net/collector2/4-3-5.jpg
----
I believe the C2RZ-9155-A was more of a replacement add-on filter.
.
Why are there so few original style filters? My guess is they were
superseded because of the plastic body for safety reasons.
Why did the Tiger continue to use the plastic filter (all "period"
photos I have seen show the plastic filter) and not up-date to the all
steel variation? Maybe Ford sent Rootes all their old style filters to
get rid of them?
Since the Tiger didn't use the standard Ford fuel pump, it has a
different fuel line set-up and the filter probably wouldn't have been
installed on the engine when shipped from Ford. Where they sent with the
engines to be installed later, or?
.
Does anyone have a "period photo" of what fuel filter the MKII Tiger
used? I can't find my 1967 magazine article on the MKII.
.
Now for another question:
What oil filter was used on the Tiger? Were engines supplied to Rootes
with the filters installed on the block, then Rootes removed the oil
filter and re-used them on the Tiger remote set-up? I can't see them
doing this, did Ford send a shipment of filters along with the engines,
or did Rootes have to supply there own?
David Franchi