Re: Fulcrum pins

To: derekw@sltnet.lk
Subject: Re: Fulcrum pins
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:53:38 EST
Steve

As I have noted the several time.  Unless you have a definitive
racing application AND are willing to dissemble and check the fulcrum
pins before and during the racing season, DO NOT use delron,
plastic, or other solid bushings.  Use the steel poly bushings that SS
sells and the best quality fulcrum pin you can buy.  Doug Jennings
sells nice ones.  John Logan safety support is worth the effort.  It
will not prevent the pin from cracking, but will support the A-arm long
enough to stop.

According to my source (a highly regarded Ph.D. with years of doing
professional failure analysis) every pin, NO MATTER WHAT THE COMPOSITION,
will break with the design of the system.  The unforgiving delron or
plastic only hastens the failure.

You must choose: believe a man who has written the textbook used
in teaching failure analysis OR someone who says he's had no
problems but has done no scientific analysis.

You can live or die with your decision.

Dave Johnson