Re: heads or tales

To: Carmods@aol.com
Subject: Re: heads or tales
From: twojohnsons@cox.net
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:58:45 -0500
In the 5.0 Mustang world, the hottest heads are ARs, followed by Twisted
Wedge, Then Brodix, then all the others which are fairly similar in making
power---Edelbrock, Holley, World, GT-40, etc.
I chose the Edelbrock, which don't suck off the low-rev torque the way the
leading heads do. And I like that low-down power best of all. The aluminum
Edelbrocks are about $1000, & are quality all the way. The threaded holes come
helicoiled, and if you've ever stripped a plug thread in aluminum, you know
what a pain in the ass that can be.
You will need bolt sleeves or special bolts to put all of these on your
260-289, because they are drilled for 1/2" fasteners & your block uses 7/16".
The best bang for the buck---and for street use  (says my local speed shop) is
the iron World Products head, which you should be able to get for $700-$800.
It makes good power, but is heavier than its aluminum rivals. This should
compare w/machining & porting costs for your 351 DOOE Windsor, & easily make
more power.
You can feel the difference in seat-of-the-pants right away with good heads;
it's worth doing.
AJ