Re: 289/302 Conversions

To: <gharlowe@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 289/302 Conversions
From: "Robin Young" <robin02@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 22:40:45 -0500
Hi Graham.  I bought a five bolt 289 on e-bay for my restoration for $350.
It had been dipped, painted and overbored 30.  Upon disassembly of my ragged
out car, I discovered the motor had been changed to a six bolt 289 by a
previous owner. The tunnel had a large hole on the right side where the
clutch had exploded sometime in the past. The bell housing had been changed
to steel and fit to the six bolt block and toploader. There is no identifier
on the bell housing but, I understand it is a common though expensive  part
available from the Mustang supply houses.  I have since resold the block to
another tiger owner that is contemplating a remanufacture of his car.  Robin