Re: Castrol, again

To: Joe Schuessler <j.schuessler@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Castrol, again
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 18:10:38 -0700
Joe

My source of information is the can of Castrol brake fluid on my
workbench. It is NOT amber, but clear (at least to my eyes), and
definitely not silicone. Certainly the Workshop Manual (on-line),
Section P- (Lubricants), specifies "Castrol/Girling Amber fluid", but I
have never seen that "amber" can except the little green can one that
came with my MG-TD. The name on the "Exceeds DOT 3 and 4 specifications"
 version is "Girling LMA", which is very clear, and all that I have seen
available.  Not sure the DOT specs were existent, back when the Tiger
was new. The clear fluid does get a little dark as the seals age and
color it with blackish flakes, and the plastic reservoir can age to an
"amber" (9-> Certainly not from the can.

 My silicone clutch fluid is "Johnsen's Silicone DOT 5, not Girling, and
is a red. Purchased at Pep Boys, the List Price was $13.95/ 12 fl. oz.,
but priced at $9.95.  Only filled it once.

I don't think I have seen Castrol Amber in a long time.  Maybe that
Mummy with the gas filter has them for $50 for 6 oz. (9-)

Steve

I am not sure the

--

Steve Laifman