Re: 260 Mods...

To: <JHef101@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 260 Mods...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:34:23 -0700
Isn't the stroke of the 260 motor 2.87 inches? Then the difference between a
302 crank  and 260 would be 0.13 inches. Since that is the total throw then
the difference in the down side, or skirt side, of the cylinder walls would
only be 0.065 inches. I had heard that there was some instability in the 289
to 302 pistons at the bottom of the stroke and that they made the cylinder
protrude a tad bit more into the crank case. Then add to that the shortness
of the 302 rod, 5.090 inches vs 5.155 of the 289 hipo and the different pin
heights, and it is lost in the noise. IMHO. The use of aftermarket pistons
can likely fix this. Jeff, Cool beans on the 56 Bird... wish I had one!!

mayf