Steering Rack - threaded studs needed (source)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack - threaded studs needed (source)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:15:12 -0700
  I attempt to kill two birds with one stone in correcting a feeble steering
rack repair (a previous owner welded on an Alpine rod and tie rod end as a
repair!!!). I have acquired two 5/8"-18 LH/RH  tie rod adjusting sleeves off a
Gremlin (there's that AMC, Chrysler, Rootes connection so, hey....) . I am
going to lefthand thread the cut down Tiger rack (nixing the welded on Alpine
piece in the process) and apply 3-1/2" to 4" righthand threaded rod between
the sleeve and stock Tiger tie rod ends.
  Not only will this fix the feeble repair, but also allow for quick and
proper toe adjustments. The problem is finding the threaded rod (or a stud) in
a decent strength. Orchard Supply has "Threadall", but I'm thinking it is too
low strength? Internet searchs return a billion companies that manufacture
(but don't directly sell) what I need.  Places like McMaster's seem to sell
EVERYTHING BUT 5/8"-18!  MSC Direct doesn't go that large. I would just buy
grade 8 bolts and cut the unthreaded part off, but all that I can find are
only threaded for 2".
    I have already spent about 4 hours finding a decent priced 5/8"-18
lefthand threading die (from $12-$54, guess which one I bought for the two
lefthand threads I will ever need it to cut in my life). Now I'm going nuts
looking for decent strength 4"  5/8 -18 threaded rod/stud. If so many people
make this darn stuff how come nobody sells it?
Oh yea, while I'm asking any recommendations on a grade/spec/etc. for strength
(I was thinking grade 8)? The adjustment sleeves are just threaded tubes and
likely the weak link. Hmmmm, perhaps the "Threadall" might work anyway????

Thanks if you can give me any leads. Regards, Tom Witt B9470101

P.S. Steve, no, Luky's didn't have anything like it.