Re: cooling problem/ Lower Radiator Hose

To: DJoh797014@aol.com
Subject: Re: cooling problem/ Lower Radiator Hose
From: Steve Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 22:49:10 -0700
DJoh797014@aol.com wrote:

>I agree.  Check the lower hose.  Make sure the car is hot
>and then watch the lower hose as you goose the carb
>with your left hand.  Been there done that.
>
>TigersUnited list the correct lower hose.
>
>Dave Johnson

Tigers:
That lower radiator hose is supposed to have a thick wire coiled inside
it to keep it from collapsing. I'm pretty sure they came that way from
the factory.

I just pulled my radiator today (two leaks I discovered) and the lower
hose I removed (and destroyed in the process) has that coil in it. The
replacement lower hose I have from SS also has a coil in it. If that
hose doesn't have the wire and is collapsing, it would sure affect your
cooling.

It's easy to tell if the lower hose has the coil (do it with the motor
off, so as to not loose any body parts to the fan). Grab the hose and if
you can squeeze it together, no coil. If the coil's there, you'll feel
it, and won't be able to collapse the hose..

Steve Sage