Re: Help wanted with opening hood to engine bay

To: willvz@blueyonder.co.uk, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help wanted with opening hood to engine bay
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:19:48 EDT
Hi William,

This question should inspire lots of suggestions.

I assume that the hood opened all right before it got stuck. The centering
bolt is probably hung up on the latch, or if you have a cable it may have
slipped or stretched so that it doesn't pull the latch all the way back.

The first thing I would recommend is you have someone pull the release handle
all the way out while you try to open the hood.

If that doesn't work, get a piece of thin hard wood that will fit in the seam
between the hood and body. While someone is pulling the release handle pull
up on the hood, put the wood in the center of the rear seam and pry it gingerly
forward so that it will clear the latch.

Some people have said they were able to reach the latch with a long stick
from the from the front grill. That sound hard and labor intensive but you may
be
able to make it work.

When all else fails, you can loosen the hinges through the holes in the front
and see if you could move the loose hood around until it unlatches.

In the future, if you have the cable type release, install a redundant cable
in case the cable gets loose or breaks. My car has a 1/4 inch rod so I don't
have the problem.

                                                            John Logan