Shift boot fininshing ring.

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Shift boot fininshing ring.
From: VegasLegal@aol.com
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:12:55 -0400
Dear List:

Mr. Laifman and I have been having a discussion concerning the proper finish
for the top ring at the shifter boot.  Earlier I had written that I saw the
black finishing ring on the recent Utah original Tiger on EBay as a sign of
authenticity.  Evidence now seems pretty clear that, at least many, Tigers came
with a chrome ring.

My car (B382000975) had an interior that was so original, yet dilapidated, that
it was scary.  The finishing ring was coated with what appeared to be the same
coating as found on the trunk clips.  It had seperated or broken away in a
couple of spots revealing a chrome ring beneath.  I have confirmed with the
original owner that she never had the shifter or transmission worked on, and
that the ring was black when she bought the car.

My question is whether anyone out there is familiar with any other black
original rings besides mine and the Utah Tiger, or whether any further
information on this anamoly might exist.  I have recovered mine in plasti-dip.

Incidentally, the tunnel at the shifter is not as flat as it should be, and the
ring obviously suffered a slight bend on installation.  A supposition of mine
is that there may have been a select few installations that showed poorly in
chrome due to bening on installation, and Sunbeam would coat them to hide the
imperfection.

Bob Nersesian
Telephone:  702-385-5454
Facsimile:  702-385-7667