Re: Tiger Concours Judging - An Older Viewpoint

To: Mark Rense <kneedrag@corecomm.net>,
Subject: Re: Tiger Concours Judging - An Older Viewpoint
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:48:59 -0700
Mark,

While I commiserate with the miserable time you must be having in
Budapest (9-), I offer you another view of a Concour. It is a matter of
Class.  By that I mean Classification, not snobbery.

It has previously been proposed that a Concour have separate classes of
cars, all with recognized, documented criteria, and each class accepted
for the merit of it's requirements.

Many clubs do this now, and others have had volunteer(s) spend many
weeks polishing up the criteria.

Basically it came down to all cars start with the same points, say 100,
before judging, and all cars are examined to assure they meet the
criteria of the class they want to compete in:

1) Dead Factory Stock. Original CONDITION and EQUIPMENT get 0 deducts.
ANYTHING else gets a few points shaved.  How many? Depends on how the
rules are WRITTEN,  Non Lucas lights, for instance, are deducts even
though the replacement is functional, safer, etc.  Of course the
originals MUST be the exact year correct part number, and function to
not get a deduct itself.

2) Personalized. The NUMBER of non-stock modifications made can move a
car from Stock to Personalized.  No foul, just keeping the field
available for a class win.

3) Modified. Exceeding yet another NUMBER of modifications, and
including major mechanical changes to power train, running gear, etc.,
even if it makes the car "better".  Compete against like vehicles.

4) Race Prepped.  Anything goes, as well as what is "better" in the eyes
of the judges.

5) Master's Class.  Here is one of the MOST controversial proposals, but
one I personally subscribe to.  Many cars are so fine, whether through
hard work, trailer driven, whatever, that they win a First whenever they
compete.  It was proposed that "X" number of "First in Class" wins,
especially in the "Stock Category" be lauded, applauded, and elevated to
the exalted status of "Master's Class". These extremely fine examples
would then compete against EACH OTHER for a Master Class First - there
is no second to a Master.  One of our active Tiger enthusiasts spent
much time and effort to categorize, define, refine, and publish just
such a complete list as described, with details and points.  I am sorry
to say that it was "rejected by committee" and thoroughly alienated the
volunteer(s) who worked so hard to be rational and fair.

Class Racing is an attempt to equalize competition to make it fair and
fun. This is NO different, and there is no single criteria.  What is
needed here is the WILL to have FAIR contests, without all the same
faces taking all the same trophies.  Diversity in categories, and even
adjustments when things are patently not working as planned, is what
Racing is all about. What makes a concour any different?

Just my $0.02.

 Take it for what it is worth to you.  And my condolences to the well
known volunteer who spent so much time trying to rationalize things,
just to be hung up with entrenched winners and power brokers.

Steve

--

Steve Laifman
Editor