Re: TigersUnited Forum - WHY? Reply 2

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TigersUnited Forum - WHY? Reply 2
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:33:58 -0700
Dan, (address withheld)

In case you did NOT see the response to your inquiry in the "Forum" ,
here it is:

 From CleanDan:

"Steve, thanks for the reply and the special copy to my email. I posted
this question in the Tigers Den because it really has no specific
section on this "forum" except where you can take off your shoes and
kick back. You speak of the "Tiger List" of which I am unaware, please
explain. Also, you state "each members responsibility" but never explain
what it is you are supposed to be responsible for and I kinda' got lost
there. Because of your explanation, to this point, I have possibly
realigned my view of this web site. You tell me that this place is where
information is copied to and stored for future reference by those who
would like to ask questions that have already been asked. Does this
include ALL aspects of this web site? If yes, then is should be renamed
something other than a forum, maybe a depot, storehouse, Tiger cage (for
something cuter)due to the nature of how things are being run. A forum
is a place for open, public discussion and not simply the posting and
storing of information. Herein lies my original confusion, and
ultimately my latest question. If I am in the wrong place, trying in
vein to have an open discussion, please feel free to point me in the
correct direction. Let me know where the open discussion forum is
located so I can discuss Tigers in the proper place. Thanks Steve and
have a great day."

Posted Reply:

"Dan,

The "Forum" name is the property of the free software owner, and part of
the agreement to use it.

The Tiger List is an E-mail list that is published to each subscriber in
individual e-mail messages, or a "digest" form. It requires enrollment,
which is described in detail at Mark Olson's

http://www.classictiger.com/subscribe.html

as linked in the TigersUnited "Online Resources" section.

This is where you should be reading and learning, as well as the
TigersUnited.com site itself, which is fully illustrated. List
transmittals are prohibited from enclosures. The "Forum" is our warehouse.

"What", you ask, "is my responsibility?" Well, to be modest, I publish
the TigersUnited.com website, edit all submittals, encourage
contributions from knowledgeable sources, and write some of those where
I have specific knowledge. Takes a LOT of time - want the job? Pay is lousy.

So, "subscribe" to the Tiger List and see what it is all about. Watch it
for a few months to see how often a previously answered question is
posted by a new knowledge seeker.

Recognize the value of an indexed, searchable repository of such
knowledge. That is the "Forum", whatever the original "Forum" software
author may have intended - that is OUR need.

My job is to do what I just did. Guide and encourage Tiger enthusiasts,
and promote our cars to the best of my ability.

Steve Laifman"

Hey, Dan, you are new.  How else are you going to learn anything unless
you ask, and I commend you for the fortitude to do so.  I hope my
answers are sufficient.  We do what we can.  Go to the WEB SITE:

http://www.TigersUnited.com

and browse around to see what is there.  There is an "old" section
called "Mailing List Threads", under "Technical Tips", that was our
first attempt to codify all the technical responses in categories and
order.  It took a lot of people a lot of time to go through already
segregated e-mails to create these helter-skelter early attempts.  Too
much work for volunteers to handle, although those that tried gave it a
good shot.  Our "SEARCH" engine can find all sorts of stuff. There is a
separate "Search" for the "Forum" postings on the "Forum" itself.

 From that early "Threads" attempt we saw it was a futile effort, and
went to the already coded "Forum" format to allow pre-categorization,
and simple "Copy/Paste" entry of good questions and answers.  I am
afraid that once someone has their need solved, they are not too
forthcoming with even that simple sharing approach. It may be that the
Forum will no longer be what was intended, and may be eliminated.

This would be a shame, as it could be so useful.  Well, I've spent way
too much of my own time posting other people's questions and the good
subscribers.  NOT MY JOB, but I do what I can. If you find no value in
the organization of the Forum's categories, or the information it
contains, it may be a clue that unorganized Tiger-list reading, and
unending question repetition, may be all  we have left when I kill the
Forum for lack of active participation as a data warehouse. If our List
and Forum members are not interested, well .......

I am sending this publicly to the list to solicit the community's advice
on how they wish their meals served.

--

Steve Laifman
Editor