RE: off topic-98 5.0 exploder

To: <TLKSRHOME@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: off topic-98 5.0 exploder
From: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:42:39 -0400
Kevin
        You should first try to get any trouble codes out of the computer.
If you do not have a code reader available; I believe Auto Zone will read
the codes for free.
        A friend of mine has an Explorer V6 which had a similar miss then
immediately went into a no start condition.  The problem was the Crankshaft
Position Sensor (CKP).   If you suddenly get a no start condition,
disconnect the CKP, reconnect it and start the engine, then go get a new
sensor.
        Another possibility is the Throttle Position Sensor; it can be
checked with the engine off and a volt meter reading Ohms across the sensor
while moving the throttle by hand.  You can also check it on the volts scale
with the key on/ engine off.   It should show a smooth change in volts or
ohms as you move the throttle.

        Never rule out the possibility that it is the spark plugs, wires or
coil packs.

        You can check at www.alldata.com for any recalls or tech sheets.
Also do a web search for Chiltonautolibrary; this will get you to an online
Chilton manual with how to repair, wire diagrams, and code definitions.

Hope this helps you.
Ron Fraser