RE: RE caliper

To: "'Bill Lawrence'" <billlawrence@hotmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE caliper
From: "ron fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.biz>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:50:08 -0400
Bill
         It sounds like you either have some dirt in that caliper or the
caliper pistons are gummed up, rusted or pitted causing it to hang.   The
last time this happened on my Tiger it was dirt in the caliper and I was
able to flush it out.   Any obstruction in the line is only going to that
caliper from the 4- way connection.   The master cylinder is OK since you
indicate the rest of the system is working correctly.

        Are you using rubber hoses to the calipers or Stainless Steel
braided lines?  There is a possibility that the rubber hose has split
internally and is restricting fluid return.   This has happened to me on
other cars.

        First bleed the caliper again and look for any type of dirt in the
fluid.   Road test to check brake function if you found dirt.
        Second remove the caliper and pop the pistons out to check for
gumming, rust, or pits on the piston and in the caliper bores.   Check the
rubber parts for any defects.  Replace parts as required.  Clean all parts,
re-assemble the caliper, bleed the caliper. Road test again.

Ron Fraser