RE: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?

To: "Almjeld, Paul" <PaAlmjel@dwu.edu>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?
From: Theo Smit <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:31:41 -0700
I've run both the Edelbrock 600 CFM and the Holley center-hung-float
double pumper, with decent driveability (especially considering I never
re-tuned the Holley after relocating the Tiger from Vancouver to
Calgary) but nasty mileage around town. My 289 has some kind of
performance cam, headers, and, as I found on pulling the intake
manifold, at least a rudimentary attempt at ported heads.

I'd still think the 500 is a better choice, unless you have evidence
from dyno pulls that say a 600/650 is a significantly better match. If
you're doing any autocross stuff then make sure you get a carb whose
floats are not especially upset by G-forces (that would mean Holley
instead of Edelbrock, or perhaps a Demon).

Best regards,
Theo
70 degrees F in Calgary yesterday - the forecast is for an overnight low
of 20F tomorrow... gotta like fall weather.