Re: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?

To: PaAlmjel@dwu.edu
Subject: Re: 4 bbl carb 500 cfm or 650?
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 18:53:40 EST
Dr

I believe that I have read that a 100% efficient 289 would use
a little over 500 cfm.  Check with TigersUnited for the calculation.
The question is: Other than Turbines, steam, and perhaps electric,
is your 289 100 % efficient in making horsepower.

Keep in mind it's torque that pushes you into the seat.  The stock
260/289 has its peak torque about 2000 rpm.  Just great for around
town. Put in all sorts of mods and you can boost the HP to over
300 but the peak torque/HP occurs at much higher RPM. The
Model T didn't have much HP but had lots of torque at low RPMs.
With 1st gear it could climb a steep cliff, but at 3 mph.

Dave Johnson