RE: All Gassed Up

To: Tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: All Gassed Up
From: mmcbeth@peacock.ca
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:42:31 -0700
Octane is another of those automotive topics where science and anecdotal
experience are totally at odds with each other. High octane fuel is
resistant to preignition, this allows you to run more advance and/or
higher compression. If you do not have problems with preignition then
moving to higher octane will not help you (unless you advance your
timing).

Some newer vehicles have knock (ie. pre-ignition) sensors and computers
that advance timing to match the needs of the engine. In THAT case moving
to premium fuel could improve performance because the ignition system
"knows" it can advance the timing farther. I'm not aware of a Tiger that
has this setup, although I wouldn't be shocked; I've considered it myself.

In spite of this, it seems that over 50% of 'car guys' think they get
better performance from premium fuel: I rarely argue.

Enjoy!
Michael