Re: Mystery Part Rescued From the Landfill

To: twojohnsons@cox.net, SLaifman@socal.rr.com
Subject: Re: Mystery Part Rescued From the Landfill
From: DJoh797014@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:43:03 EST
I have one in my trunk.  Its the vent hose for the vent caps on the
LUCAS battery.  The caps had little nipples that go into the hose.
The open end runs down next to the spare and through the trunk
floor to vent the hydrogen outside.  At Big Sky I actually saw a
Tiger with the complete working setup including LUCAS battery.

The hole is another way to tell if your car has an Alpine floor.

The MKII Tigers had a special red plastic 'manifold' that had
LUCAS in raised letters.  It rans across the caps and had a
black hose running at the end to the truck floor.

According to John Clegg, retired Rootes engineer, the vent hose
came about because one day Rootes was running a high speed
long duration on a Tiger in their new dyno shop.  The generator/
regulator overcharged the battery creating so much hydrogen,
that the explosion almost burnt down the shop.  Hence the
vent hose.  John should know.  He was there.

Dave...stuck in Decatur, IL