Re: Tires again

To: stubrennan@comcast.net, harryb@elams.org, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires again
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 13:13:06 EST
Stu brings up the heart of the matter of choice, application. The good news
is, there are still some very good choices for 13" rims, no matter what people
tell you. If you want a "touring" type tire, you have Bridgestone Potenza,
Yokohama Avid as two very good tires available for cheap that will last a long
time. If you want autocross/track stickiness, Kumhos, Hoosiers and others are
out there.
As far as sizing, the correct fitment on a 5.5" rim would be no larger than
185/70...all things being equal. One manufacturers 195 may be as wide as
anothers 185 etc., but with a 185 section, you will have correct sidewall
characteristics, rollover and contact patch (all kind of the same thing).
Having said
that, many will disagree, having run 205/60 in an autocross oriented
application. Yes, it does "work", but at a significant price. I've driven
205/60 equipped
cars on the street and in autocross and the steering doesn't feel great and
I'm not sure they go any faster around turns...distinct feel of sidewall
rolling, which doesn't lead to an effective contact patch. I've never tried a
195/70, that is definitely not a very common size, these days.
Given the first email, I'd suggest a set of Bridgestone Potenzas, about
$55-60 apiece, should last 40,000 miles and provide good traction and light
steering w/good feedback.
Mike Wood