Gasket Problem

Subject: Gasket Problem
From: Sage <ssage@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:34:57 -0800
I have taken apart my Tiger A/C compressor to replace a  part. I need to
replace two gaskets from another part in it, so I can re-use that part.
The part I need to re-use is made of aluminum, so it's fairly soft. The
gaskets are "cooked" onto this part. They will not come off. My gasket
scraper and razor blade are not doing the job since I can't afford to
scrape too hard and damage the surface where the gaskets sit, or the
delicate moving parts that sit almost flush with the surface. The
surface onto which I'm going to place the new gaskets must be almost
perfectly smooth to seal properly, so any damage in removing the gaskets
from it will probably ruin it ($$$$$).

Are there any tricks to getting gasket material off a delicate surface,
without damaging that surface?

Thanks!!

Steve Sage