Re: A Non Starter

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A Non Starter
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:30:50 -0800
>>>Apparently since things have been slow on the list lately, the Tiger
refuses to start today, just so we have something to talk about.<<<
  You see that's just what I was talking about yesterday, "a weekly Steve
Sage malay."

Steve, remember there are 8 points that the battery (high) current has to
pass through.

Positve - battery, soleniod (in), solenoid (out), starter.
Ground - battery, attachment to chassis (trunk area), attachment to chassis
(underbody), attachment to engine.

Additionally there is the ignition switch and soleniod (low current)
conections as well. Likely any of them can be giving you trouble but I would
guess it is one of the battery cable connections. 12.7 volts is typical of a
decent battery, but under load it could still be the culprit. Given the not
so typical (of late) weather we are having and your propensity to dig too
far, too fast (like myself) I say take the battery to PepBoys and let them
test it first. If it is ok then check out the cables.
 For whatever it's worth I drive a '73 Datsun 510 that the PO installed a
cutoff switch in (in car, under rear seat). For months the (also in car)
regulator would chatter and I thought it was the problem. Well, after much
anguish I discovered that the battery switch has gunked up over many years
of not being used. Strange, though the car never failed to start (under high
current) if wouldn't pass a lesser current back to the battery and once
started it was basically running on the alternator only.
thus in theworld of Tigers and even more so Steve Sage it could be anything.
Hope you get it sorted out without too much time in our less than ideal
weather. Tom Witt B9470101