Re: Seat Belts

To: Stu Brennan <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:02:14 -0700
Stu,
It's been a while since I read road race car prep rulebooks, but I
recall that they mandate something like a 2" diameter backing washer
(made of a suitable grade and thickness of steel) for safety belt
eyebolts. Suddenly getting a bunch of slack in the belts is not good -
and the decelerating force, in any crash where the seatbelts are going
to really matter, is in the thousands of pounds. If you wouldn't feel
comfortable pulling the entire car up by any one of the seatbelt
fasteners, then you shouldn't pretend that you're really safe when
you're wearing the belts that attach to those fasteners.

Theo