Re: Front suspension advice needed

To: Tom Witt <wittsend@jps.net>
Subject: Re: Front suspension advice needed
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:59:06 -0700
Mark, Tom, and everyone else,
I just pulled a spring out from under the car and it has the following
dimensions:

Coil diameter: 4.00" = D
Wire diameter: 0.586" = W
Free length: 11.0"
Pitch: 1.285"
Number of turns: 9 3/4 (end to end). Number of free turns is about 8 =- N

According to the standard formula K= (W^4 x 12000000)/(8 x N x D^3),
this gives 345 pounds per inch (assuming 8 free turns)

This spring fits snugly into the CAT rubber isolator, but it looks like
the PO's mechanic missed a little and the spring end was cocked
significantly in the isolator. We'll have to see how all that goes back
together. My Tiger had  little or no forward rake, and pretty much
normal ground clearance, on 175/70-13's in front and 205/60-13's in
rear. It also has spacers between the rear springs and the rear axle, so
it looks like a bunch of 'adjustment' was already done.

Best regards,
Theo