Re: Vice-Grips (throttle calbe)

To: "Sencindiver James D (Jim) NSSC" <SencindiverJD@navsea.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Vice-Grips (throttle calbe)
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:07:15 -0800
Jim,

I, too, suffered the failure of a throttle cable.  Not having a vice
grip while miles from home, I had to crank up the idle speed at the carb
adjust and limp home on a fast idle.  The "cable" (wire) had broken at
the swaged carb end.  The cause, however, was not a faulty cable.

I had just installed the F4B and Holley 4 bbl, which locates the carb
linkage further forward.  While I made the connection, I was unaware
there were other things to do, and my foot pedal pressure was restrained
at wide-open-throttle by tension in the cable.  It wasn't long until a
lead foot, with a new performance addition, broke the cable.  I replaced
it with the slightly longer cable from Sunbeam Specialties, although I
am told it isn't required.  However, the pedal angle will be different
if it isn't.

While having a vise grips in the tool box is a great idea, it should
also be pointed out that the accelerator pedal linkage IS adjustable,
both as to the angle of the pedal, and the positive stop.  These
adjustments are all on the pedal, and reached by standing on your head,
squeezed under the dash, with the seat in the small of your back!  The
pedal stop should be adjusted so the carb throttle opens fully, but
further travel (and cable strain) is prevented with a positive pedal
stop.  Adjust angle to suit ankle.

Just a tech tip for those who failed to do this, and are driving at risk.

Steve

--
-----

Steve Laifman