Re: T5 Trans ratio

To: "Cliff Alexander" <mk1a@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: T5 Trans ratio
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:48:31 -0700
At 10:35 PM 4/11/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>All--  I have been reading the list for quite awhile and this is the first
>question I have posted. I've been thinking about putting a T5 in my 67
>Tiger. In looking around at what's available I find there are two 1st gear
>ratios that are common, 3.35 and 2.95. My question is, which ratio is
>better to use with a stock (2.88) rear end?

Cliff,
         I don't know were you are in the selection process but I am in the
process of creating a new casting to replace the AMC units that are so
difficult to find.  The prototype castings are about to be made and I
expect product availability in the July time frame, hopefully for
SUNI.  This new piece and associated kit hardware will solve a lot of the
problems associated with the AMC adaptation and will be available as a
complete assembly kit.  And Yes, It is designed to fit into the Tiger with
the shifter in the Toploader position without any cutting.

         I have an early prototype of this T-5 in one of my Tigers that I
run with the 2.88 gears and a posi traction differential.  I have the 2.95
1st gear ratio and the .63 OD in fifth.  I run this behind a mild 302 and
get very nice performance in all areas.  It is no slouch on the autocross
circuit and will pull mid 20's in gas mileage at freeway speeds.  I think
the 3.35 first gear is a little low and would end up too short just as the
Toploader 2.32 close ratio 1st gear is a bit too long, given your
differential ratio.

         I am also installing modified Tremec 3550 transmissions in Tigers
if you need more torque handling capability.  This installation does
require some minor cutting of the transmission tunnel sheet metal but my
modifications allow it to fit without cutting into the structural arch at
the rear of the tunnel.  To go along with these transmissions, I have also
developed a 5 bolt block scattershield for the earlier engines to protect
your feet.

         Let me know if any of these items are of interest to you.

Tom Hall