Re: T5 Trans ratio

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Cliff Alexander" <mk1a@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: T5 Trans ratio
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:26:24 -0700
Cliff,
   In addition to the trans gear ratio's and the final ratio the tire size
(diameter) also needs to be considered. There are a number of calculators
(one is on the Tiger's United site) that can be found searching on the
Internet ( I prefer those that factor in tire size as well).
   As a reference point the early Tigers have a 2.32 (1st) close ratio box,
where as the later cars had the 2.78 (1st) wide ratio box. The concensus
seems to be that the wide ratio box with it's lower fisrt gear is the more
desirable ratio. Just a word of caution though. I have a Datsun 510 with
stock  4-sp trans, stock 3.90 rearend and 215-50-13 tires (originals were
probably about 165-80-13) and it was really wound out on the freeway (about
4,000 RPM @ 65 MPH). I switched to a "Z" 3.36 rearend (lowest numerically
available) to compensate for the tires and it made a big difference (very
near stock again). As annoying as the the 4,000 RPM on the freeway was the
1st gear that was good for about 10 ft. and the fact that I was shifting
into 3rd gear just passing through a typical intersection was just as
trying. I say this because though low first gears seem enticing they can be
too low (similar to driving an empty granny-geared truck).
   In the end you need to evaluate what the car will be primarily used for
and then factor in the complete system (engine mods relating to torque curve
@ respective RPM, trans ratios, rearend ratios AND tire size). That said,
I'm sure there an many on the list who will relate their experience who have
actually made this modification that may have a configuration close to
yours. Remember though that the results they see are relative to their
subjective perception (and application). I say this because the 5 speed
conversion is an exspensive and time involved venture. Though not done with
a Tiger I have made errors based on what I thought, or I saw regarding
ratios and had to "live with it" until I corrected it $$$. You are on the
right  track by asking. Just do your homework completely before you proceed.
All the best in your venture.

Regards, Tom Witt B9470101