Storage of Batteries

To: tigers@autox.team.net, "'Alpine's Peak'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Storage of Batteries
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 12:43:03 -0700
This concerns those who store their cars for extended times (weeks,
months, seasons) and find out they have dead batteries.

Some buy battery chargers with a "trickle charge" feature.  These taper
the charge level down after full charge, but still provide enough
current to cook the battery dry.  Leaving it disconnected also kills it.

There are "battery maintainers" sold under names such as "Battery
Tender" (about $70). or one of the many by Schumacher at about $39 (yes,
same guy I think).

These are very small devices.  They are not meant to recharge a flat
battery, or jump start a dead one.  They also are NOT "trickle" or
"taper" chargers, which operate at a higher amperage and cook out a
battery if left on too long.

These "Tenders" are chock full of little transistors, operating from the
110 volt cord, with maybe a couple of LED monitors and a quick connect
charge cord. A little larger than the size of a voltage regulator. They
monitor the battery voltage at rest, and charge a couple of amps (as
required) , then taper to a minimal value, then shut-off until sensors
say battery needs a little maintenance juice.  (On demand life support
injections)

I took what I thought was a dead Gel Cell and connected one, as I didn't
use my car over the winter due to illness.  Surprisingly, the LED's went
from full bore to maintenance mode in about 1 week.  I disconnected the
quick connect junction and it cranked over and started like a new battery.

I am not claiming it will restore a battery with a dead cell.  Only that
you can prevent cooking out a battery, or letting it bleed to death,
with a simple investment.

Don't buy the big "Jump Start - Taper Charge - Trickle Charge" devices,
except for that purpose.  I suggest these tiny ones as an intravenous
electricity dripper to keep a life support system going for your car.

Steve

-----

Steve Laifman
Editor