Re: last query before the plunge

To: Brad Huff <huffb@avalon.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: last query before the plunge
From: Stephen Waybright <gswaybright@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 09:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Brad,
I think you may be missing something if you beleive you need to
autocross or race to enjoy the enthusiast's driving pleasure found in
running high performance tires. The fact is that these tires are
targeted directly at enthusiast street use, since most autocross/racing
classes require stock diameter rims and allow real racing rubber. The
traction, steering response, feel and turn-in dynamics of a lower
profile (than 78, 70 or even 60 series) performance tire can be
appreciated in almost every sweeping turn you encounter. It also
provides a substantial increase in safety margin, both at speed and
emergency manuvers. I also beleive that good performance tires (ref
Yokohama AVS ES100) don't have to cost much more than much lesser
tires, though wheels can be a big ticket item depending on your
specific taste. I run performance rubber on every car I own, and would
on my trucks if I didn't need the load capacity that perf tires can't
touch.

To take a different approach, imaging if you applied the same logic to
engine power, one might wonder why you choose a Tiger instead of an
Alpine or MG? You don't race or autocross, so why spend the big $ for
all that excess V8 power?

I hope this helps you rationalize the decision to go with the
performance rims and tires.

Stephen Waybright

--- Brad Huff <huffb@avalon.net> wrote:
Why am I willing to buy 16x7" rims and high dollar tires? I realize
that speed rated 13" tires are no longer available but you can still
obtain 13" tires that are rated to 118mph. How often do we run the car
that fast? Am I missing something or has the lure of only spending 1/10
of the price to cure my problem clouded my mind?-Brad