RE: Ignition Voltage Question

To: "'Steve Sage'" <ssage@socal.rr.com>, <TIGERS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition Voltage Question
From: "Theo Smit" <theo.smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:35:43 -0600
Hi Steve,

The Flamethrower II coil has a primary (low-voltage) resistance of 0.6 ohms.
That means if you connect it directly across 12V and ground, it will pull 20
amps and dissipate 240 watts. This causes the coil to get HOT in a hurry,
and if you leave it like that even for a few minutes then it will severely
reduce the life of the coil, if not fry the thing altogether. I was recently
using a Flamethrower II in my tach testing setup, with a Mallory Unilite
distributor. The Unilite doesn't have any protection to turn off the coil
current when the distributor isn't turning, and leaving the system energized
would overheat the coil in a matter of minutes.

If you want to test the system like that, then grab a couple of spare
headlights and wire them in place of the coil, then go looking for the
source of your voltage drop.
The Pertronix module depends on the internal grounding of the distributor's
advance plate. You should make sure that the mounting surfaces inside your
distributor and under the distributor's mounting flange to the block are
clean, and that you have a good ground between the engine and chassis. For
distributors with a movable breaker plate (not like your dual-point unit) it
is essential that the little ground strap wire inside the distributor be
connected between the breaker plate and the distributor body.

Good luck,
Theo