Wiring (fuse block replacement)

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiring (fuse block replacement)
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:34:30 -0700
I would guess that most of the Tiger World is at SUNI, but perhaps there is
still a hope of a reply??? If I get get no, or few replies I'll re-post next
week (sorry).

  I am replacing my stock MK 1Tiger, 2-fuse block with a covered 14-fuse piece
(Nissan 280-Z). I am also relocating the fuse block to the upper, driver side,
kick panel area. I would like to maximize circuit isolation without getting
too carried away. As I look over the Tiger wiring diagram I see a LOT of the
current runs through the ignition switch.

Questions:
  I can see the ignition switch handling the load of the Ignition (coil), Fuel
Pump, and Instruments, but should it be a cold, rainy day and the wipers and
heater motor get into the draw is the switch being overloaded? By the way, how
much current does heating the bi-metal for the turn signal flasher draw (also
on the ignition switch), is it high?
   Would I be getting too carried away just having the ignition switch
activate a relay that would then distribute current to all these "switched"
items? If so, what type of relay? Would a Ford starter relay handle the
continuous "ON" situation?

 As I see it these items NEED to be on the ignition switch:
Ignition (coil), Fuel Pump, Tach, Instruments.

As I see it these items SHOULD (also) be on the ignition switch (primarily for
the convienence of not wearing down the battery accidentally) :
Turn Signal, Wiper, Heater (motor), Radio, Electric Pusher Fan (even if I opt
to have this manually switched it would be nice to have the current run
through a relay wired into the ignition switch so that when the car is turned
off, so is the fan)

As I see it these items CAN (or should) be unswitched (hot):
Headlights Hi/Lo (they seem to be wired one or the other so I would think 1
fuse would suffice), Parking (they call side/tail/plate), Map, Instruments,
Brake, Lighter (12 -V accessory plug, I don't smoke), Horn

Note, that I have opted to put the brake lights on the unswitched side of the
curcuit. Perhaps a hung switch (and dead battery) will have me change my mind
later, but I like the idea of brake lights while coasting (engine off).

Again, I have 14 fuse points. Does this scenario sound acceptable?
1. Ignition
2. Fuel pump
3. Tach, Instruments
4. Turn Signals
5. Wiper
6. Heater
7. Radio
8. Pusher Fan
9. Headlights (Hi/Lo)
10. Brake
11. Parking (side/tail/plate/map/instruments)
12. Horn, Lighter (12-V accessory plug) I put these together considering their
"momentary" use.
13. Future considerations
14. Future considerations

Finally, would anyone have recommended amp ratings for each item listed
above.

  Thanks to anyone who might confirm or enhance my plan described above,
Tom Witt B9470101

P.S. I have not driven my car (4+ years). The wiring diagrams shows
"accessory," but my ignition switch has three positions: Off, On and Start. Is
the #4 Accessory connection on the ignition switch just a secondary power
pick-up point in the On position?
TW