RE: [Fwd: Re: Tiger Temp] UPDATE

To: "'Dave Munroe'" <dave@munroe.ca>, "'Jim Parent'"
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: Tiger Temp] UPDATE
From: "Bob Palmer" <rpalmer@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:55:24 -0700
Jim,

Just a few words in defense of a "breathed on" engine. Most of the things
done to raise HP output also actually improve thermal efficiency, which
tends to reduce the waste heat the engine has to get rid of. For example,
increasing compression ratio - at least up to a point. I tend to believe
that most of the reasons for a modified engine running hot are due to
friction caused by, as you suggest, stiffer valve springs, too little piston
and bearing clearance, etc. Also, it is commonly believed that thin cylinder
walls from over-boring the cylinder walls makes a motor run hot - which is
not implausible.

With respect to your alleged heating problem, I surmise from your experience
so far that you will find that either a) it's the thermostat making your
engine run hot, or b) your temperature gauge is wrong.

Bob