Lower Ball Joint Boots

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lower Ball Joint Boots
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:00:27 -0700
  Last Summer I installed my new lower ball joints on my Tiger. The car has
not been driven and has sat in my garage. Yesterday I had need to put the car
back up on jack stands and crawl under. Well.., you can imagine my
disappointment to notice that both lower ball joint boots had cracked and
split apart just from sitting there. Ironically, I also noticed that I had
greased one of the joints, but not the other ( I would have double checked
before initially driving). Regardless, both boots had cracked. I mention this
because the problem was obviously not the grease.
   I don't want to give the vendor a bad rap (after all they did make the
effort to have the part made), so at this point will not mention where I got
them from. It does leave me to disassemble the front end and likely purchase a
special joint breaker ( beyond my pickle fork) so as to not damage the joint.
It also leaves the question as to what to replace the boot with???
  So, I bring this up to give others who have recently replace their ball
joints a "heads up" to check their boots and seek a solution to my own
situation.
Regards, Tom Witt