Re: Lower Ball Joint Boots

To: wittsend@jps.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lower Ball Joint Boots
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:47:34 EDT
From: wittsend@jps.net
 To: tigers@autox.team.net

 Tom, you wrote:

It does leave me to disassemble the front end and likely purchase a > special
> joint breaker (beyond my pickle fork) so as to not damage the joint.

Tom,
       I NEVER use a pickle fork on Sunbeam lower ball joints.  Lift one
corner of the car in the air.  Remove that wheel. Turn the steering to the side
get access from the front.  Loosen the ball joint top nut a turn and a half.
Take a Propane or Mapp gas torch with a small flame tip and quickly heat the
area of the stub axle carrier, right where the taper of the ball joint is
held.  SMACK that flat vertical surface with a large ball peen hammer ...
squarely.  It will POP loose, but stay retained by the nut.  It may take one
hit or it
may take a dozen hits.  Remove the shock absorber and (you will probably have
to) remove the sway bar.  Lower the car, putting the bottom of the 'A' arm on
a wood block. Remove the loose top nut.  Lift the car again, just a bit, to
separate the axle carrier from the ball joint taper ... not too high, as to
lose the (captive) front coil spring.  Unbolt the ball joint rubber snubber and
horizontal bolt and it is free.  Reverse these instructions to reinstall it.
Twelve minutes, tops.

Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger Club     Seattle