Re: Fan to Radiator Clearance

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fan to Radiator Clearance
From: Packertl3@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:58:35 EDT
In a message dated 8/14/04 1:08:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, wittsend@jps.net
writes:
I was hoping the collective wisdom of the list would put me on the right
track.
Tom
I don't claim to have any wisdom to share - only a little experience. My car
had an overly thick radiator installed probably in the 70s. The fan/radiator
clearance was so small that for about 10 years I had to take off the fan to
remove the belt. That situation has since improved with a thinner, more
efficient
core installed. While the old setup created some inconvenience there was
never any damage or mechanical contact as a result of the close proximity. But
another practical consideration is that the fan's efficiency is effected by
it's
position relative to the shroud so moving it back might create some benefit
with respect to cooling. I think the fan/shroud relationship is addressed in
the
cooling tips on TU. Unfortunately getting even a little wiggle room can be a
challenge.
Terry Packer
9470018