Fan to Radiator Clearance

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fan to Radiator Clearance
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:06:52 -0700
It would be helpful to get a concensus of the distance Tiger owners have
between their radiators and fans.

   In my case the stock motor was replaced by a 5 bolt 289. The water pump has
the smaller shaft, but retains the Tiger pulley. I have moved the hub down the
shaft so the water pump pulley aligns with the crank pulley (single groove).
To my thinking ( unless the Tiger used a different crank pulley too) the fan
mounting point should be equal to the stock mounting point regardless of
timing covers, water pumps, etc. simply because the crank and water pump
pulley align.
  Well.., I have also installed the Volvo fan. This gives me a Maximum
clearance with the radiator of 1/4." That sure seems too close to me. I never
had a stock fan so I don't know it's projection, but the Volvo fan projects
1/2" off the front mounting face. The car came with an unknown "flex" fan that
projected 1/4" and therefore would give me 1/2" total clearance. That
clearance seemed to work for the PO as there was no radiator damage from the
fan.
  I had two thoughts to aquire more clearance. One was to loosen all the
engine/trans mounts and pull the engine back (as much as the clearances in the
bolt holes would allow). I'm not sure how much I can expect but probable no
more that 1/4" I would think. The other was to slot the bolt hole on the two
Tiger specific engine mounts to facilitate movement to the rear. However,
before I venture into problem 1001 I was hoping the collective wisdom of the
list would put me on the right track.
Thanks for any help, Tom Witt