Re: Brake pistons STUCK

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>, "Chris Mottram" <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brake pistons STUCK
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:24:35 -0700
Chris,
  Been there. Getting the caliper pistons out ranks right up there with axle
and hub removal. You may not like what I did, but I got so feed up with it I
was going to get them out if it meant breaking them in the process. I took a
2" X 10" board and set it on a concrete surface. I gloved my hands well and
sat on the ground stradling the board. Then with full force overhead swings
I struck the caliper against the board. Basically you are using the inertia
in the upper piston to remove it. You have to be careful not to bang you
fingers. Hold the caliper clasped from over head. I also attempt to hit it
on the joined edge to reduce the chance breakage. Some took up to 20+ whacks
before they came out.
  I found a way to expidite the matter. I discarded the board. My concrete
walkway was old so I didn't care about it. This only took about 6-8 full
force overhead whacks to free each piston. Suprizingly it really didn't show
much on the caliper when done. I did four calipers (8 pistons) and my arms
were sore for a few days. I really believe some aspects of Tiger servicing
were meant to be accomplished with Dynomite! Use my method at your 9and your
calipers) own risk. All the best.
Tom Witt