grade of motor oil.

To: "Tiger's Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: grade of motor oil.
From: sosnaenergyconsulting <sosnaenergyconsulting@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:20:54 -0700
Hi all:
Question about motor oils.  I'm in the process of rebuilding my 302 and,
while the book recommends a detergent motor oil on startup, it suggested
using the maufactrers recommended grade of oil. I was wondering if you
had any recommendations on grade of motor oil for:

Intitial startup
Regular running.

I ask because it seemed to me that the newer cars run a 5w-30 oil to cut
down on friction due to oil viscosity.  I am under the impression that
the higher viscoscity slightly decreases mileage and slightly decreases
horsepower.  Granted that with a Tiger fuel economy isn't one of the
primary considerations in owning the car, but wondered whether the power
gains and mileage increase might justify a lighter weight multi-grade
motor oil.

I have had a recommendation to just run 20w-50 oil so the pressure stays
higher.  Your thoughts on the benefits or deficits of that would also be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

David Sosna