More Dipstick Questions

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: More Dipstick Questions
From: Theodore Brown <tbrown@midcoast.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:13:24 -0400
Hello All:
It seems from all the help I have received that the dipstick that I have
on my Tiger is the correct one.  The problem I have is that it reads
full when I have only 3.5 quarts in the engine.  Now, I replaced the
original oil filter setup with the right-angle adapter arrangement and
a smaller filter, so I know it should not hold as much oil, but I am
wondering if 3.5 quarts is sufficient, since the Workshop Manual
gives the capacity as 5.0 quarts.  The pan and the oil pump remain
stock.  So, my question is, is the important thing to have the level
in the sump up to full on the dipstick or is it more important to have
a certain quantity of oil in the engine and, if so, how much?  Is there
something special about a particular oil level in the pan or is there
a range that is acceptable?  I have heard that overfilling a sump can
be damaging but how does one know how much is too much?  Sorry
to be beating this (dead) horse, but I obviously have way too much
time on my hands.  Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
Tod
B382002384LRXFE