Monterey Historics trip report and a HUGE THANK YOU to Terry

To: "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Monterey Historics trip report and a HUGE THANK YOU to Terry
From: "Kathy and Erich Coiner" <kathy.coiner@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:07:20 -0700
I just returned home on Monday from 5 days in car guy heaven at the Monterey
Historics weekend.

We left San Diego on Wed afternoon.  Our little band was:
1 Tiger
2 Cobra replicas
1 Fastback Mustang
1 Viper GTS
1 03 Mustang Cobra
and a Saab

The day began very eventfully with me finding a flat front tire first thing
in the morning. The tire store said the bead was shot and I need a new tire,
but it would take a day or two to find this size.  I ran home and changed
tires to my spare set of street radials. Say good bye to the sticky Potenzas
:( So much for getting some work done before leaving.
Dave the Mustang owner started his day with a dead battery.

Other than some beastly hot weather the drive to Pismo beach was uneventful.
We went up I5 to Frazier Park an then too Mil Potrero over the mountain and
down into the Central Valley.  That is a world class fun road. If you
haven't run it.  Get there! and Do IT! Hwy 166 lead us into Nipomo for a
well deserved dinner at Jocko's.  It was there that we met up with list
member Terry Packer.  When he heard we were coming his way, we exchanged
emails and agreed to get together to ogle the Tiger and swap lies.  We had a
great chat, and he extended an offer of tools and help should we need it.
We thanked him and said everything is going great. He disappeared into the
sunset on his motorcycle and we went in for one of the best steak dinners I
have ever enjoyed.  Jocko's in Nipomo is a local treasure.

After dinner we got ready to head for our hotel.  Dave fastback wouldn't
start. It just gave that infamous, Ziiiiingggg, Zinnnng, spinning without
turning the engine over.
We left the car and went to our hotel and checked in.
The next morning at 7 am I called Terry's number.  I know I woke him up.  We
asked for advice on finding the closest auto parts store.  He said he would
do some checking and call me back.
20 minutes later he calls and says he has found a starter at Carquest and
they have it out on the counter.  He loads up his vehicle with tools, jackst
ands and comes to our hotel.  He takes Dave to the store, picks up the
starter, drives 10 miles back to Jocko's, jacks the car up, crawls
underneath and changes the starter.  All of this for a guy he had never met
until the night before!

THANK YOU Terry!

This list is such a huge asset to connect people, I love it.

We were on the road by 9:30 and we made Carmel by noon to see the Pebble
Beach Tour cars.  The run up Hwy 1 was trouble free.  The late start meant
more traffic, but that just meant more passing oppotunities :)   The best
part was passing 1 Lamborghini and having his pal in front take a turnout to
let us thru.

To be continued........

Erich